Sunday, October 28, 2007

Through the eyes of a child....


Yesterday afternoon, when everyone in the house was taking their afternoon siesta, I just walked out in my balcony and saw my 6 yr old cousin intently working on something. On a closer look I saw there was a broken plastic elliptical dish in front of him and he was moulding something with clay. I asked him what was he doing with a broken piece of plastic? He just looked at me and casually replied, 'I am making a boat.' If I, or any other adult in the house had come across it, it would have gone straight to the dust bin. But he created something so simple yet so beautiful out of that piece of junk.


I remembered another incident when one of my other cousin ( 12 yrs old) was just leaving for school one day and he suddenly called out to a third cousin, who is the same age, to look at something. She saw what he was pointing at and was like 'wow'. My uncle went to see what was happening and he could not see the object of their admiration. When asked my cousin said, 'we were just admiring the multicolored pattern that was being formed because of the sunlight falling through the glass window.' The point I am trying to make here is that my cousin could immediately understand what her brother was pointing at, but my uncle needed an explaination for it.


Children have such wonderful imaginations. I absolutely love sitting out with my cousins and listening to them trying to make out some patterns in the clouds. I wonder what happens to us when we grow up. I agree that we tend to be more rational and start thinking logically but why do we loose our imaginations at the same time? In fact I think letting our imaginations run wild is the best way to relax and take a break from everything that is bothering us. I am reminded of a dialogue form one of my favourite movies, Finding Neverland,

"Just a dog? Porthos dreams of being a bear, and you want to shatter those dreams by saying he's just a dog? What a horrible candle-snuffing word. That's like saying, "He can't climb that mountain, he's just a man", or "That's not a diamond, it's just a rock." Just."


I am just trying to say that wouldnt it be just great if we could all build our own Neverlands and visit it once a while? I am sure all the kids do it. They dont have a logical brain inside them telling them that it is all crap. They live in their own world of fantasies.


I have my own Neverland too and I love to go for a trip there. I can be anything or anyone I want and be with anyone I want. It is so peaceful out there. Just the thought of it clams down my mind and leaves me in a state of blissfull contentment.


Oh I wish I was Peter Pan and would have never grown up and could live in Neverland forever. But like they say 'If wishes were wings, pigs would fly.' Well I don't see any flying pigs around here so I guess it is not going to happen. But I can at least console myself by taking a trip to my Neverland.

1 comment:

ramer...thoughts on an overdrive!! said...

the way i see it!!

as we grow old..we have complexities
seeping into us..!!
we lose the innocence adn the objective way to look at things....challenge i hve now is to regain that simplicity!!


i will know more abut a persons character if i observed them as a child!!